In a few days I'm going to Thailand. I don't like to buy tickets until the last minute, because what if I really like Zürich and want to stay longer? So I'm not sure when I will go.
I'll hang out in SE Asia for a bit and then Spencer and I are going to teach each other how to surf in Bali for a month or something. Sounds really cute, doesn't it? It will be.
This whole going to Asia thing threw a bunch of problems my way as to what to do with my bike and all my stuff. I'm done cycle touring, for now, so I don't want to take it to Asia. Putting it on a plane to Asia and then traveling around with it and then getting back to the USofA sounded like a pain. And shipping it seemed expensive and also to be a pain.
So I decided to sell it. In Germany.
When I first thought of selling it, I didn't think I really wanted to. It took me about onepointfive months of talking myself into, before I actually decided that I could sell it. I would take off all the parts that I wanted and just sell the frame. It was all because how was I going to get it home anyway? And where am I going to be living anyway? And it would probably sit in Ben's garage (he called dibs on storing it for me...) anyway. And I've lived entirely out a couple of bags for over a year now, so it's not like I need possessions anyway. Especially possessions that are just going to sit around and clutter up my life. Right?
The day I cycled out of Berlin I was in a forest and there were no signs and I hadn't seen the sun in four days so I kept losing 'west' and I kept hitting junctions that weren't on the map and I wasn't sure which way to go. The road was made of sand and I had to walk a bit. Then I met Reinhard and his wife Annette. They're as old as my parents. They told me which way I needed to go and they were headed the same direction so we rode together for a bit. They invited me back to their house for some cake and whatever and we had a nice chat.
I told them of my trip and how I was planning on selling the bike once I was done. Circa four or five days.
I left their house and about 45 minutes later Reinhard was standing on the side of the road by his car. He gave me his phone number and told me he wanted to buy my bike and give it to his son. He said his son's girlfriend lived near Cuxhaven, so I could just leave it there. Perfect. I told him how much I wanted for it, which was fair, and he was cool with it. I was selling my bike. Perfect.
Then my second to last day I chickened out. I can't sell this thing. I love this bike. My Mom loves this bike and she's never even met it.
My new friend Anna told me I could store it in her basement in Dresden for as long as I needed (who knows when I'll pick this thing up). And this works out even more perfect, because not only do I get to keep my bike, but I get to remain all idealistic and stuff because I'm not cluttering up my life with possessions. I'm cluttering up Anna's (oh, I'm looking at you too Mahana...). I call this win win.
I'm heading to Switzerland today to hang out with a friend in Zürich. Then off to Asia.
I'll be traveling, like a sissy, without a bike, so I don't think I'll write on this too much. Maybe every now and again when I'm in Asia, but I don't know.
I'll start it up again next time I get on a bike for awhile....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
It almost sounds like you are giving Mahana the go ahead to have a garage/yard sale. It is true that most of us have way more stuff than we need. Well, maybe not enough books.....Trying to sell your bike turned out like selling a leg, or an arm? I think I understand. I have been the same way with old cars.
And here I was hoping that we could store your bike!
You and Spencer teaching each other how to surf might make for good video. Maybe Breckan should just take charge?
Thank you Eric! Actually I couldn't sell it. I'm too lazy to pull it all out plus I've thrown a bunch of kid stuff on top of it. And may just maybe if it's still here, Charlie may come back and at least visit.
i am so glad you are keeping your bike. It is like family now. It would be like me selling max or lily for a surfing trip, wrong just wrong. well maybe if the price was right at the right moment....but there would probably be regret involved at some point. good call to keep it. and keep posting, it is the only way we know you are alive
Ha! Lynz's comment made me laugh...if the price was right. Sheesh.
Anyway, I'm glad your 1.5 month's worth of self-convincing didn't win out. Someday that bike may end up in the Smithsonian or something.
Have fun surfing...and keep posting!
I think if you did sell it, Danelle should be the first one offered. I think she's your biggest fan. She deserves it.
I think you should sell it. I already sold your brown bike you left in my garage.
If you're comfortable sharing, how did you finance your trip? Just savings? How much does a year of bicycle touring cost? Any good sources for trip preparation?
anonymous, sorry for the late reply. yeah, email me charlie(dot)thomas(at)yahoo(dot)com
Hey Charlie,
I think you should shmelt your bike down and make it into a sweet helmet or perhaps a breastplate or something. Something you could put on your mantle or perhaps turn into a piece of art. Maybe you could have it made into a fountain for your yard or art work that involved balls rolling around and through it like a roller coaster. That would be cool. Just some ideas. By the way, you should try to be more materialistic. It will help you fit in better when you get back to the states. You should also come to Denver with Spencer and get some dental work done. We could shmelt your bike down and make it into a sweet grill!
Hey, are you alive? Where are you? Did you come back to the states? I need a serious update!!!!!
Post a Comment