The police were supposed to come to the hotel at 10 am to get our official statements. They didn’t come until 12. The police station was only about 150 yards up the street, but I didn’t have my bike, and neither of us could walk. We could both hobble ok, but 150 yards was too far. Never in my life have I had to consider taking a taxi 150 yards….
Bad Guy and his uncles came to the hotel to see us, twice. Both times we told reception we didn’t want to see them. I later found out he brought us a chicken…..But we never saw this chicken…..
The cops showed up and drove us to the station. Armine’s foot was hurting now and she was limping. I was limping. And neither of us had crutches. All the hotel staff just laughed when they saw us trying to move around. We were quite pathetic. I couldn’t help her at all, and she couldn’t help me, and neither of us could really help ourselves. If anyone did offer help it was always for me. A man would let me put my arm on his shoulder and help me walk down the hall, but nobody ever paid attention to Armine. It drove me crazy. They would offer me help and I would tell them to go help Armine, but they couldn’t understand, or if they did understand they were more interested in helping the American.
Of course the office where we gave our statements was on the second floor, no elevator. When I followed the officer into the office there was another cop gambling online on the computer. I’m pretty sure he was playing for real money. He played games on the computer for almost two hours while we were there.
The interpreter, Helen, showed up late. She is Georgian and is the English teacher at the middle school in Akhaltsikhe. So she was really good at asking me my name, where I’m from and what my hobbies are…..Armine did a lot of translating for the translator. I would say something to Helen, and then Helen would look at Armine so Armine could put it into Georgian. But I guess she served the third party stipulation.
The cop made me sign some papers stating that I would tell the truth and if I lied I could be punished and blah blah blah. The papers were all in Georgian, technically written and long, so Armine just summed them up for me. On all of them I wrote “I have not read this….” And then I signed my name. The cop didn’t like it too much, but that’s his problem.
My statement took forever because of the translating. Then Armine had to give her statement. We were there for 3 hours.
My bike was in the room and I couldn’t take my eyes off it. When I got hit I was going in the same direction as the driver, so really he just made me go faster. My handlebars spun around and it severed the cable for my bike computer. This also tore the adjuster barrel, for my front brakes, right out of the lever, and stripped the nut, which isn’t a big deal. The frame on my seat is twisted and the leather has several large gashes in it. The aluminum tube on the rack that carries all of my stuff is bent. Not kinked, but bent. It is not attached to the frame of my bike, and can easily be replaced. My rear wheel is just as true as it was before I got hit. I wasn’t able to ride my bike because my foot was in a cast, but I flipped it upside down to run the crank and all the gears worked fine and my drive line is still straight. My bike is a tank and the only thing I’m slightly worried about is that my frame was somewhat bent. But I really don’t think it is. I made a list of things that needed replacing and it came to $208.
After we gave our statements Bad Guy’s uncle came in to talk money with us. Apparently the way it works is we tell him what we want, and if he gives it to us then that’s it. If he won’t give us what we want then it goes to court. Bad Guy is a commando in the military (he was in Iraq last year) and has been in trouble with the law before and really doesn’t want to go to court, so between him and his family they will come up with all the money to cover hospital bills and for my bike. This is what they’re telling us at least. We briefly saw Bad Guy the night before at the hospital. He keeps wearing this “I’m really concerned and sorry” pathetic face. He’s one ugly mofo. I’m pretty sure he’s sorrier for what he’s going through than for what we’re going through.
I had to leave my bike in Akhaltsikhe with the cops. We got our things and went to the bus station to go back to Tbilisi. I can’t take my bike for a few days and there’s nothing to in Akhaltsike.
Armine did not call her parents the night of the accident because they would have freaked out. She told them while we were at the police station, and they freaked out. Extended families are all really tight over here. She’s really close with all her aunts and uncles and with her parents cousins and their children and I don’t even know how far it goes. When she calls someone her uncle I ask if he is her mom’s or dad’s brother and she tells me that it is her grandma’s cousin’s grandson or something, I don’t even know. For the 4 hour bus ride back to Tbilisi she got a phone call every 3 minutes from a relative wanting to know if she was ok and when she was going to be home.
When we got to her house she had a few aunts and uncles there, along with her parents and brother. I felt like an idiot. Riding a bike isn’t necessarily risky, but it’s my decision to ride a bike in these places, and getting hit by a car is always a possibility. But Armine never made the decision to ride a bike; I was just giving her a ride. So it’s not fair that she got hurt too. Sure it wasn’t my fault, Bad Guy didn’t have his lights on and he was drunk. But I can’t help but feel responsible for Armine. Her family has been really nice about it, but I feel horrible that she’s hurt.
Armine lives with her mother, Susanna; Father, Norik; Brother, Varazdat; and 5 year old son, Davit (Armine is divorced). They’ve offered to let me stay at their house, since I can’t walk. They’re taking very good care of me. I asked Armine if I could have some orange juice. She texted her mom, who was out running errands and asked her to bring some home. Then her mom, her dad and her brother all came home with different brands of orange juice, in case I didn’t like one of the brands…. Armine and Davit are the only ones that speak English, and Davit doesn’t understand that I don’t speak Armenian or Georgian or Russian (they all speak all of these languages and interchange all the time). So if Susanne tells me something I look at Davit and ask what she said, but he doesn’t get that I don’t understand her, so he just says whatever he wants.
Armine’s brother, who is 21, wasn’t ok with the fact that Bad Guy just said he would pay, I don’t really believe him either. So Varazdat got on the phone and got a hold of Bad Guy’s uncle, then his commander in the military and Bad Guy himself. He yelled at every single one of them. “If there is anything wrong with my sister…” “If you try not paying….” “If you don’t get that bike fixed….” And on and on. It was cool.
We’re going to another doctor tomorrow, because the guy in Akhaltsikhe didn’t do anything. Armine’s brother is making Bad Guy (who is in town for military) meet us so he can pay….
My brother is able to change his ticket, with a fee. He’s not going to come out in 3 days….I won’t be there. But he’s going to try and come out and ride with me in December or January. It’s going to cost a little bit of money, but it will work out.
Bad Guy got hit with a $750 fine and his car taken away. I don’t know if anything else will happen to him or not. He’s really scared that I’m an American. Armine’s brother told him I have connections at the embassy….
I cut my cast off halfway through the night. It was hurting and I didn’t want it on anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I had a dream about you last night. You and Armine were camped outside bad guy's house and you had to keep negotiating with his mom. It was pretty silly. Not that what is really happening isn't silly, but in my dream you were kind of hysterical. I'm sure that your and Armine's family's way of handling it makes more sense than my dream. But maybe not- the whole thing seems a little surreal.
Yes, your story is out of a movie....can't wait to hear the end.
you could probably make this into a movie. LIke the kid that traveled then died in the bus at the end...what was that one called? it was good, but please don't die at the end of your movie. I get to spend the day in a wheelchair, I actually thought of you adn not being able to walk...funny to think of you instead of all the people i have worked with in a wheelchair...i just thought you could use one....adn what a pain they are!
Keep getting better. I'm sure it feels like you're getting worse...very painful, but stay strong.
You said you met Armine at church. Is she the only member in her family is David a member too? Maybe Bad Guy should pay part of the fee to change your brother's ticket!!!
Glad that, once again, you run into good people when you need them. Get better.
...and, again, I LOVE the "connections in the embassy" threat.
It sounds like it's all a pretty "small town" area. Just because Bad Guy was tracked down so fast, and keeps coming into the story, and connecting to Armine's family--is it small town, or is everyone just related, so it's easy to contact other people?
And I think it's great that they all speak those 3 languages. I'm with Davit, I don't understand why you don't speak them either.
Post a Comment